Friday 20 March 2020

From HerrRobert (Robert H): The Wizard's Steed (35 Points)

Next stop, Millsy's Millpond
You know the drill by now:
Paint one or more miniatures from prior to 2000, any genre, any scale. Bonus 10 points if the mini(s) are pre-1990 or bonus 20 points if pre-1980. Extra 10 points if you can provide a backstory on how and where you acquired the mini(s) e.g. I originally bought these to play original D&D back when I was a kid.
Gotthard Baer kicked his mount into a canter, then a gallop. En route from consulting with the Emperor and Patriarch in Altdorf, he needed both ultimate speed and discretion to reach the army of the northern frontier. Tilean mercenary pikemen were being recruited, to join the flower of the Imperial Knightly Orders and the black powder and steam tanks of the factories of Nuln, arsenals of Altdorf, and forges of every town between here and Kislev.


Gray wizards were masters of both stealth and disguise, and Baer was no different. Just a nondescript man on a nondescript mare, all cloaked in the gray of his order. He quietly galloped through the no name streets of this no name town, just another to be passed through to rendezvous with the gathering army.


Gotthard Baer is a Games Workshop Empire Gray Wizard, dating to 1996 or so. The Empire were my first Warhammer Army, and they remain some of the most beautiful sculpts that GW has done. I've begun Robertizing (reRobertizing?) the old figures, including kitbashing pikemen from the halbardiers. Baer was a new purchase for the Army. I've always been fond of gray wizards, especially their extra abilities to dispel magic!






Baer was originally planned to be part of Challenge Nine, or even Challenge Ate. I finished both him and his proposed steed then, only to discover that he didn't fit! Back to the drawing board. He say, unfinished, until this challenge, when I painted up a brand new steed and sat him upon it. Which, frankly, works much better for his sense of discretion than the Elven one I'd originally planned for him.

So, just another five points, but visiting Millsy's Millpond!

________________________

I agree, before the f*cktards at GW decided to blow up the Olde World the Empire had some of the best models in the biz. Ahh, but we have the Age of Sigmar now (golden shaft of light) so what do I know. I'll just go into the corner and continue rocking back and forth, shaking my fist and muttering at the walls.

This grey wizard is a great example of talented Robertizing. Well done!

-Curt

7 comments:

  1. That is a brilliant figure Robert, really in theme with the old school GW setting. I also get a distinct Gandalfy-feel from him, which is a nice bonus...

    @Curt: you do know the f*cktards have realised their mistake and have announced, they will be resurrecting the Old World setting and game somewhere in the future right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, I immediately saw the resemblance to Gandalf, which is why I went with the bushy blond beard!

      The Old World is fun, though I devoutly with the Empire had pikes!

      Delete
    2. I am impervious to GW marketing: I will believe it when I see it. (Then I will dance in the streets. :))

      Delete
  2. Nice nag Robert, like the wiz too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking wizard!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete