Friday 20 March 2020

From StuartL - Challenge Island Safari Journal - 20th March (80 Points)

Greetings and salutations sturdy C.I.S.T.ers!

Today the Challenge Island Safari Tour is heading inland a bit to Bromley's Butte, another famous local landmark.

Once again it appears as if there are already some tourists in the area, let's go see who we are meeting with today.


Hmm, it appears to be a squad of British commandos, specifically a troop from 42 Royal Marine Commandos. If memory serves, this unit was part of the 3rd Special Service Brigade and served in India and Burma from 1943 until 1945. While their brethren were storming the beaches of France, these fellows were carrying out amphibious landings along the coast of Burma. I guess that explains the rolled up sleeves, these guys are used to tropical weather.


I see their sergeant is reading some sort of proclamation.
"To the individual known as StuartL, you are ordered to turn yourself over immediately to stand trial for your numerous crimes and misdemeanors. You are charged with the following:
Theft of a boat,
Aiding and abetting a known badger botherer,
Illegal possession of an anti-aircraft weapon,
Consorting with demons,
Making light of a speech by the US President,
Numerous counts of reckless endangerment of lives,
And finally, impersonating a tour guide.
If you surrender now, you will not be harmed!"


Ah! I guess that is my cue to leave then. I know this island like the back of my hand, it should be easy to give these guys the slip and hide out here for a few months. I'll wait until the heat dies down before heading back to the mainland in time for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge XI.

So long folks, thanks for following along on the safari. Just remember, all tickets are non-refundable and they'll never take me alive!
Bye.

----------

The figures above are a mix of Warlord bits. The bodies, heads and backpacks are all from Warlord's Commandos plastic set, the arms in short sleeves are from their 8th army set. Interestingly, Warlord decided to have the two plastic sets be incompatible. Well done Warlord. The torsos from the 8th army set are a little narrower than the older Commando box and taper inwards slightly. This meant that I had to do a spot of creative trimming to get the arms to fit. Even so, the bergen backpacks obscure some of the gaps at the back of the shoulders. I have quite a lot of minis for the Burma campaign in various stages of assembly, but I was only able to get these ten ready in time for the Challenge. 
Anyway, 10x 28mm minis plus the bonus for the location (the target being elite light infantry, which I think applies to Commandos) should get me a reasonable 80 points, enough to clear my challenge target.



That about wraps things up for me. I didn't get to visit every spot on the island, but I hit my personal points goal and painted a bunch of cool minis up.
Best of luck to everyone working on their last couple of entries. Thanks for reading my nonsense over the past 3 months, see you all in the summary posts.




Another day, another Safari Journal entry from Stuart. Good luck with your escape from those spiffing Commandos!

TamsinP

6 comments: